Best Deal: Body by Jake IM Body Weight Training Rings
Woot had these on sale for $30 with $5 shipping. Even the homemade ones are priced around $20-$30 and most don’t have the door attachments. This offer is over, but if you follow woot, a lot of times things cycle back again so I wouldn’t be surprised to see this deal pop-up again.
Deal Today $24.99! 7/18/2013
Our Mini-Review of the Body by Jake Suspension I.M. Rings
First off, I’m not normally a big fan of Body by Jake products, but I was looking for something I could do at home between gym workouts, and a suspension training system seemed to fit the bill. Challenging, easy set up, no heavy weights for the kids to get hurt on, etc. Secondly, they have TRX , LifelineUSA Jungle Gym XT at my gym, regular rings and I’ve used them all. Finally, the exercises you can do with all three are almost identical that the the 2x – 5x price difference cannot be justified in our opinion. The main difference is using the rings versus the handles. For the hand stuff, I actually like the feel of the rings much better. For the feet stuff, it’s a little tougher with the hard rings, but there are workarounds and ways to alleviate some of those issues.
- Wide sturdy straps. Feels thicker and wider than TRX.
- Simple/sturdy installation for inward opening door
- Attachment straps for using outdoors on trees or other beams to hang them from
- D-Ring clip adjustment: you clip the rings to to the evenly spaced D-rings instead of adjusting straps
- Some people complain the rings are to narrow. You could wrap them in tennis or bicycle grip tape which would widen and soften them a bit.
- There is a more complicated setup included for outward opening doors. I haven’t tried it, and I wouldn’t generally recommend it if you can in anyway use an inward opending door.
- DVDs included are worth very little. I’ve watched a few, and there are few exercises I would take from them, but mainly I would check online for better videos.
- Not very portable compared to other systems that fit in a tiny bag. The bar the fits behind the door is also pretty heavy. Good in a sense that they are sturdy, but bad if you’re planning on lugging it around.
Best Value:LifelineUSA XT Jungle Gym
If you can’t wait around for the I.M. Ring deal, the next best value would be the XT Jungle Gym. I’ve owned a few lifelineUSA products and they’ve all been well made and fulfill their purpose at a reasonable cost. To me, they seem easier to adjust than TRX and I like the handles better. The reviews on Amazon cover most of it.
Best Marketing and Resources:TRX Suspension Trainer Basic Kit + Door Anchor
Of course, there is the original TRX. I’m not a big fan of the single mounting point, although installation is probably easier. The whole system is more compact as well. They have great marketing and great instructional videos on youtube. All of exercises you can pretty much do on either of the above cheaper alternatives.
Perhaps another cheap alternative: I have not tried these, but the reviews on Amazon seem decent.